So I now knew what was causing the fault and assumed that a simple driver fix would solve the problem. I navigated my way over to the nVidia downloads section only to find that the current drivers found in the 15.01 nForce package were the ones already installed on my computer. This forced me on a journey through the series of tubes that is the internet to find some sort of magical updated driver.
After a while and with some random luck, I found a few threads where people were talking about a secret 5.10.2600.995 SATA & RAID driver. I was hoping that this was the key to fixing my problem and all I needed to do was find download link (which didn't take long). But the real great news only came after I had installed the updated driver and found that it did fix my problem. Allowing me to use the Vista's backup tool the way it was intended, with the added bonus of no crazy side effects.
If you are having problems with your nForce motherboard and would like to try out these updated SATA & RAID drivers, click on the appropriate download link below and extract the files do your desktop.
Download nForce SATA Driver 5.10.2600.995
Download nForce RAID Driver 5.10.2600.995
Then open up 'Device Manager' expand 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' and repeat the following steps for all the items listed as 'NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller'.
- Right click the 'NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller' item and select 'Update Driver Software'
- Click 'Browse my computer for driver software'
- Click 'Let me pick from a list of device divers on my computer'
- Click 'Have Disk'
- Now select the extract folder on your desktop and follow the rest of the on-screen instructions
Once you have completed the above for ALL listed 'NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller' items the properties of each one should look like the following....
and that's it, your done! If you have any questions just fire away and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.